
Pakistan’s Chief of Army Staff Field Marshal Asim Munir has arrived in the Iranian capital as a part of the ongoing mediation efforts between the US and Iran, the Pakistan military said in a statement on Friday.
The Pakistan’s army media wing, Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR), said in a statement that on arrival, he was received and warmly welcomed by Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni.
Interior Minister Mohsin Naqvi was also present at the reception.
Earlier, security sources said Asim Munir had departed for an official visit to Iran.
According to sources, the visit is expected to include discussions on US-Iran talks, regional peace and stability, and other matters of mutual interest.
During the visit, the Field Marshal is also expected to hold meetings with senior Iranian officials and other key personalities, the sources added.
Meanwhile, a Qatari negotiating team also arrived in Tehran on Friday in coordination with the United States to help secure a deal to end the war and resolve outstanding issues, a source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters.
Doha, which has worked as a mediator in the Gaza war and other areas of international tension, had till now distanced itself from playing a mediation role in the Iran war after it came under attack from Iranian missiles and drones during the latest conflict.
“A Qatari negotiation team is in Tehran on Friday,” the source said, adding that the team had travelled in coordination with the United States and was there to help “reach a final deal that would end the war and address outstanding issues with Iran.”
The Qatari Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
While Pakistan has served as the official mediator since fighting began, Qatar’s re-engagement reflects its longstanding role as a US ally in the region and a trusted back-channel between Washington and Tehran.
‘SLIGHT PROGRESS’
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio said Friday that “slight progress” was made during talks with Iran as Pakistan’s army chief arrived in Tehran in a renewed effort to mediate a peace deal and uncertainty loomed over whether war will resume.
Rubio spoke days after President Donald Trump said he was holding off on a military strike against the Islamic Republic because “serious negotiations” were underway.
Trump has been threatening for weeks that the ceasefire reached in mid-April could end if Iran does not make a deal, with shifting parameters for striking such an agreement.
The secretary of state made the comment ahead of a meeting of Nato foreign ministers in Helsingborg, Sweden, where the military alliance discussed what role it could play in helping police the Strait of Hormuz once the war is over.
Rubio said he did not want to exaggerate the progress, saying there had been “a little bit of movement and that’s good.”
He said the conversations were ongoing. In recent weeks there have been repeated claims of progress, but a deal has stayed out of reach. Trump has repeatedly set deadlines for Tehran and then backed off. But he’s also previously indicated he would hold off on military action to allow talks to continue, only to turn around and launch strikes. That happened at the war’s outset, when he ordered strikes in late February shortly after indicating he would let talks play out.
Agencies
