WHO declares global health emergency over Ebola outbreak …

 An Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda has been declared a public health emergency ​of international concern by ⁠the World Health Organisation (WHO), after 80 suspected deaths.

The WHO said the outbreak, caused by ‌the Bundibugyo virus, does not meet the ‌criteria of a pandemic emergency but that countries sharing land borders with the DRC are at high risk of further spread.

In a separate statement on X on Sunday, the WHO Regional Office for Africa said that a team of 35 experts from the WHO and the Congolese Ministry of Health had arrived in Bunia, the capital of Ituri province, along with 7 tons of emergency medical supplies and equipment.

On Sunday, the UN health agency said in a statement that 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases had been ‌reported as of Saturday in the DRC’s Ituri province across at least three health zones, including Bunia, Rwampara and Mongbwalu.

One case was ⁠confirmed in the eastern Congolese city of Goma, a statement by M23 rebels said.

WHO said on X that a laboratory-confirmed case has also been reported in Congo’s capital, Kinshasa, which is about 1,000 kilometres from the outbreak’s epicenter in the eastern province of Ituri, suggesting a possible wider spread. It said the patient had visited Ituri and that other suspected cases have also been reported in North Kivu province, which is one of Congo’s most populous and borders Ituri.

On Sunday, the rebel government of Goma, eastern Congo’s largest city, said in a statement that the first confirmed case of Ebola was detected in the city.

The infected person traveled from Ituri province and was currently under isolation, the statement said. Goma was the site of a rapid rebel offensive in early 2025, and the conflict between the Congolese armed forces and the Rwanda-backed M23 rebel paramilitary group has displaced hundreds of thousands.

The DRC health ministry had said on Friday that 80 people had died in the new outbreak in the eastern province.

The 17th outbreak in the country, where Ebola was first identified in 1976, could in fact be much larger, given the high positivity rate of the initial samples and increasing number of suspected cases being reported, the WHO said.

The outbreak is “extraordinary” as there ​are no approved Bundibugyo virus-specific therapeutics or vaccines, unlike for Ebola-Zaire strains, it said. All but one of ‌the country’s previous outbreaks were caused by the Zaire strain.

The DRC-Uganda outbreak poses a public health risk to other countries, with some cases of an international spread already documented, the agency said, advising countries to activate their national disaster and emergency-management mechanisms and undertake ⁠cross-border screening and screening at main internal roads.

In Uganda’s capital, Kampala, two apparently unrelated laboratory-confirmed cases, including one death, were reported on Friday and Saturday, from people travelling from the DRC, the WHO said.

The WHO said on Sunday that a previously reported laboratory-confirmed case in Kinshasa, ​the capital of ‌the Democratic Republic of Congo, had tested negative after secondary testing was done.

Bundibugyo virus-disease contacts or cases should not ‌travel internationally, unless as part of a medical evacuation, the WHO said.

The agency advised immediately isolating confirmed cases and monitoring contacts daily, with restricted national travel and no international travel until 21 days after exposure.

At the same time, the WHO urged countries not to close ‌their borders or restrict travel ‌and trade out of fear, as this could lead to ⁠people and goods making informal border crossings that are not monitored.

The DRC’s dense tropical forests are a ‌natural reservoir for the Ebola virus.

Jean Kaseya, director general of the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, said in a statement that he had requested technical guidance and recommendations on the potential need to ⁠declare the outbreak a public health emergency of continental security.

The often-fatal virus, which causes fever, body aches, vomiting and ​diarrhoea, spreads through direct contact with the bodily fluids of infected persons, contaminated materials or persons who have died from the disease, according to the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

Agencies

Read Previous

Sharjah plans stricter controls on drone operations under new law

Read Next

Entire village set on fire over ‘love marriage’ dispute i…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular